The following are some web sites that members of The New Mexico Search
and Rescue Support Team have recommended.
Inclusion of a link on this site does not imply an official endorsement by the New Mexico Search and Rescue Support Team.
Other SAR Teams
Amateur Radio Links
GPS and Digital Mapping
- NADCON is the official federal standard software for converting geographiccoordinates in NAD27 datum to NAD83 datum. There is a lot of good information there about what the conversion involves.
- NOAA declination calculator.
- iGage Mapping Products, makers of "All Topo Maps", a program used by most members of NM SAR Support for digital mapping.
- New Mexico Search and Rescue Resources: digital copies of USGS topo maps covering New Mexico.
- The National Atlas: On-line national atlas, from US Department of Interior. On-line maps, freely downloadable geospatial data, lots of good stuff.
- The National Map: Seamless digital mapping data for entire US, with a slick viewer.
- Aviation Toolbox: Freely-downloadable FAA Sectional aeronautical charts in (georeferenced) GeoTIFF format. Unfortunately these seem to have stopped updating sometime in mid 2005 --- until then they were being kept current.
- GRASS GIS: Free, fully featured Geographic Information System.
- USDA/USFS Cibola National Forest web site: Official web site for Cibola National Forest. Trailhead guides, news, ranger district information, downloadable geospatial data.
- USGS Seamless Data Distribution System: Distribution center for USGS digital cartographic products, including digital elevation models, digital orthoimagery, and other useful data.